Sunday, February 12, 2012

First Impressions of Japan

Side ally in bustling Osaka
  Upon entering Japan, one of the first things you notice is the abundance of visual stimuli. Writing adorns almost every surface, with some English words mixed in, along with bright pictures and expressions. One might feel overwhelmed and think this is an extreme attempt to coherse foreigners to buy souveniers, but more experience reveals it is a large part of Japanese culture. Japan is a combination of bustling, metropolitan areas and old-time tradition. The extreme posters show the modern culture, but with only a ten minute walk into a city you will pass an old temple or shrine. This impressive mix of old and new is amazing and yields a second look around any where you go.
My room in homestay.
 When I moved in with my host family I wasn't sure what to expect. We usually hear of the strict culture in Japan, or maybe of the high technology throughout the country. But the first few days here have shown me that it is a combination of both. Remnants of old tradition are very evident, along side new technology. It seems the old traditions adapted to include modern culture. For example, my host mother will cook dinner, serve everyone their food, and yet the father and brother do not lend any hand in either cooking or serving. This is not considered rude, even when they leave the dinner table and leave all their plates. The first few nights it confused me, and as I guest I wasn't sure if I should offer to help or not. But after a few days I was allowed to help set table, and even wash my dishes after breakfast. The rules for a guest and the rules of a woman seem to have combined into a state where I can help, but not as much as my mother and sister do. This leaves me in an awkward position, but the Japanese culture has developed into an interesting mesh which I am very open to exploring. The Japanese have been very welcoming of foreigners, and any attempt to speak Japanese is accepted very well.
A small sample of Japanese fashion.
  The last impression I would like to discuss is that of Japanese fashion. The Japanese population is much younger and has quite an interesting expression of fashion. Every woman has their own style, and they wear it without doubt. This is very admirable, and something I would like to take to heart. It does not matter what they style is, everyone has style nonetheless. The freedom to express yourself is very refreshing compared to a college life in New Orleans where there are only two or three styles accepted, and every thing else is judged harshly. It seems to be an aspect of Japanese which has persisted through time, from national pride in their traditions to language and fashion. They are a unique society which has so many aspects it is almost impossible to explore entirely.
 Photo credit to:
(http://www.shops4shopping.com/shopping/latest-japanese-fashion-trends-2011/)

1 comment:

  1. You have some interesting observations to get you started on your explorations of Japanese culture and this blog. I, too, was a bit confused/put off by the male members in my homestay not helping with cooking or the dishes. But I did help (as you are doing) because homestay is about a cultural exchange. I am sure your host mother loves that you help out like this.

    Actually the Japanese population is older, and getting older all the time. But of course the fashion we see is young... and fun and interesting.

    I look forward to your future posts on the visual stimuli and behavior you experience.

    You might consider moving the disclaimer to a different part of the layout. And please add the CC.

    ReplyDelete